FIND SOME IMPORTANT ANSWERS BELOW:
However, insurance will only cover for “skilled care.” Once the patient has been determined to be “long-term care,” the insurer will stop paying.
Preplanning is an important action to assure that assets are protected. If someone is not currently in a nursing home, pre-planning can be done to be sure their home and life savings are protected if nursing home is needed in the future. By not taking the proper steps to protect your life savings, home, and other assets, all could be used to pay for nursing home care.
Questions To Ask When Selecting A Nursing Home:
Facilities: Inside & Outside
- Are the grounds and building attractive and well-maintained?
- Are there wheelchair ramps?
- Are there unpleasant odors in the building?
- Are there outdoor areas where residents can sit or walk?
- Is there an activity or exercise room?
- Are the rooms well-ventilated and kept at a comfortable temperature? Are there individual thermostats in the rooms?
- Is the facility air-conditioned?
- Is smoking permitted?
- Can residents bring their own furniture? Is there ample storage? Can residents have a private phone? A pet?
- Do rooms have windows?
- Are there adjoining bathrooms? Are they private?
- Is a married couple allowed to share a room?
- If the room isn’t private, is there a screen or curtain for privacy?
- Are fire exits clearly posted? Are there smoke alarms and extinguishers?
- Are there grab bars in the bathroom and handrails in hallways and stairs?
- Are there emergency call buttons and intercoms in the rooms? Is there an emergency evacuation plan posted?
- Is there a written statement of patient rights? Is the number to file complaints available?
Staff, Services and Administrative Issues
- What kind of medical supervision is provided? Physical or speech therapy?
- Beauty or other personal services?
- How do staff and residents interact? Are there language barriers?
- Are there social activities? Are residents mostly in their rooms or interacting?
- Is the food appetizing and well- presented? Is assistance with eating available?
- Are you able to get a copy of the owner/developer’s financial statement? What is the history of price increases for this facility?
- Is down payment refundable if the resident moves or dies?
- What role, if any, do family members have in paying unmet obligations?
REQUEST A CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below so we can arrange a confidential initial consultation.